It’s the worst thing I’ve ever been through,” Robin Shaffer recalled. “I had no energy. You’d try to keep something in you and it just comes out.”
When Shaffer ate an enchilada, bean burrito, and chile relleno combo meal at a Mexican restaurant in Bemidji, Minnesota, she had no idea that raw eggs tainted with Salmonella bacteria had contaminated her food in the kitchen. That food poisoning from eggs would knock Shaffer off her feet for three weeks. “My life was literally the toilet,” she told a local TV station.
Shaffer and six other diners at the restaurant were among the first of what would become more than 1,600 documented victims of the largest outbreak of Salmonella enteritidis food poisoning from eggs since the government began compiling statistics in 1973. Read More
If you are a registered user, please use this form to log in now. Or, if this is your first time visiting us online, click here to link your print subscription first.