Bulgur Chicken Salad
If you don’t like the strong taste of arugula, use baby spinach or mixed salad greens.
Total time to prepare: 25 minutes
1 cup bulgur
1½ cups boiling water
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
Freshly ground black pepper
¾ tsp. kosher salt, divided
4 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
¹∕³ cup fresh orange juice
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
8 cups arugula, roughly chopped
2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 avocado, chopped
• Put the bulgur into a large bowl, pour in the boiling water, and cover. Let stand for 10 minutes, then uncover and allow to cool.
• Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and season with pepper and ¼ tsp. of salt. Sauté over medium heat in 1 Tbs. of the olive oil until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan, allow it to rest for 5 minutes, then slice.
• Make the dressing by whisking together the remaining 3 Tbs. of olive oil with the orange juice, lemon juice, remaining ½ tsp. of salt, and pepper to taste. Add the arugula to the bowl with the bulgur and toss with the dressing. Top with the sliced chicken, tomatoes, scallions, and avocado.
Total Fat: 25 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Protein: 31 g
Carbohydrates: 40 g
Fiber: 13 g
Cholesterol: 70 mg
Sodium: 460 mg
Other relevant links:
• A health main course that is sure to please the whole family. See: Healthy Recipes: Pan-Seared Wild Salmon with Citrus Salsa
• Another satisfying salad. See: Healthy Recipes: Herbed Chicken Salad
• Another delicious chicken recipe. See: Healthy Recipes: Skillet Chicken Ziti and Broccoli