Scrambled Eggs with Sweet Potato Hash
Sweet potatoes are hard to cut because they are so firm but a few minutes in the microwave will soften them enough to cut easily and finish cooking fast. If you want more than 1 egg, mix egg whites or some crumbled firm tofu into your whole egg. You can find cartons of egg whites in the refrigerated section near the eggs.
1 small sweet potato (about 1⁄3 lb.), peeled
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
¾ cup chopped bell pepper
¼ cup chopped onion or scallion
1 whole egg
1 Tbs. non-fat or low-fat milk
1⁄16 tsp. kosher salt
• Microwave the potato for 3 minutes then run under cold water to cool.
• Cut the potato into cubes. ln a small, nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the potato, peppers and onions until potatoes are tender, 3-5 minutes.
• In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and salt together.
• Move the sweet potato, pepper and onion onto a plate.
• Pour the egg into the skillet and stir constantly with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until the eggs are hot and clump together.
Fat: 10 g
Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
Protein: 10 g
Carbohydrates: 38 g
Fiber: 7 g
Sodium: 270 mg