The recipe in this post was developed by Kate Sherwood, The Healthy Cook. Have a comment, question, or idea? Email Kate at email@example.com.
Roasting tomatoes before puréeing them yields a flavor-rich salsa that can double as a dynamite taco topping or sandwich spread. Here, the salsa makes a tangy topper for The Healthy Cook’s black bean bowl.
Beans & Rice with Roasted Cherry Tomato Salsa
Time: 30 minutes
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
2 Tbs. + 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄4 tsp. + 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
1 clove garlic, sliced
a pinch of dried oregano
1 cup no-salt-added black beans with their liquid
1 cup cooked brown rice
1⁄2 avocado, sliced
2 cups shredded romaine
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. On a rimmed baking pan, toss the tomatoes, bell pepper, and jalapeño (if using) with 2 Tbs. oil. Season with 1⁄4 tsp. salt. Roast until tender and charred in spots, 15–20 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and purée into a salsa.
2. In a medium pan, heat the remaining 1 Tbs. oil over medium heat until shimmering. Sauté the garlic and oregano until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the black beans with their liquid and bring to a simmer. Season with the remaining 1⁄4 tsp. salt.
3. Divide the beans and rice into 2 bowls. Top with the salsa, avocado, and romaine.
Per serving (2 cups):
- Calories: 510
- Total fat: 28 g
- Sat fat: 4 g
- Carbs: 56 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Total sugar: 7 g
- Added sugar: 0 g
- Protein: 13 g
- Sodium: 510 mg
Photo: Kate Sherwood/CSPI.
Want more tomato recipes?
Check out this post for:
- Roasted Tomatoes, Tempeh, & Broccoli
- Roasted Tomatoes & Fennel on Beans & Greens
The recipe in this post first appeared in the September 2020 issue of Nutrition Action Healthletter.
Find this article interesting and useful?
Nutrition Action Healthletter subscribers regularly get sound, timely information about staying healthy with diet and exercise, delicious recipes, and the inside scoop on healthy and unhealthy foods in supermarkets and restaurants. If you don’t already subscribe to the world’s most popular nutrition newsletter, click here to join hundreds of thousands of fellow health-conscious consumers.
Have a comment, question, or idea?
Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. While we can’t respond to every email, we’ll be sure to read your message.