Thai Tofu Rice Bowl
Vegetarian? Replace 1½ Tbs. fish sauce with 3 Tbs. reduced-sodium soy sauce.
Total time to prepare: 20 minutes
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
2 tsp. sugar
1½ Tbs. Thai fish sauce
2 Thai or other hot chilies, minced
2 Tbs. canola oil
14 oz. package extra-firm tofu, cut into ½-inch cubes
½ red onion, thinly sliced
2 cups shredded red cabbage
1 cup shredded carrot
½ cup unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped
2 cups warm cooked brown rice
2 cups packed herbs (basil, cilantro, mint), chopped
• In a small bowl, mix the lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, and chilies.
• In a large non-stick pan, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Blot the tofu cubes with paper towels, then sauté until lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Add the red onion and stir-fry until tender-crisp, 1-2 minutes.
• Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Toss with all the remaining ingredients and the lime juice mixture.
Per Serving (2 cups)—
Total fat: 22 g
Saturated fat: 3.5 g
Sodium: 560 mg
Carbohydrates: 36 g
Fiber: 6 g
Protein: 18 g
Other relevant links:
• A simple salad recipe your kids can help make! See: Healthy Recipes: Asian Herb Salad
• A healthy, easy-to-make stir-fry. See: Healthy Recipes: Mushroom Fried Rice
• Deliciously creamy, without the cream. See: Healthy Recipes: Creamed Cauliflower and Brown Rice