We used Lundberg’s Wild Blend rice. You can use any whole grain for this recipe, adjusting the cooking time as needed.
Total time to prepare: 40 minutes
¾ cup mixed rice (wild, brown, black, etc.)
2 bell peppers, diced
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 red onion, diced
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
¼ cup pine nuts
¼ cup golden raisins
½ tsp. kosher salt
• In a large pot, boil the rice in plenty of water until tender, about 30 minutes.
• While the rice is cooking, preheat the oven to 450°F.
• Line two rimmed baking sheets with foil. On one, toss the peppers with 1 Tbs. of the oil. On the other, toss the onion with the remaining 1 Tbs. of oil and the vinegar. Roast for 15 minutes.
• Add the pine nuts to the peppers and the raisins to the onions and continue to roast until the nuts are browned, 4-5 minutes.
• Drain the rice well and toss with the peppers and onions.
• Season with up to ½ tsp. of salt.
Per serving (1 cup)—
Sodium: 170 mg
Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Protein: 3 g
Fiber: 3 g