Looking for more simple, delicious dishes? Check out From the Heart, Nutrition Action‘s newest cookbook by Kate Sherwood, The Healthy Cook. Here’s a sample.
Spicy BBQ Tofu & Black Bean Salad
The spicy BBQ sauce in this gorgeous dish gets its kick from chipotle (smoked red jalapeño) peppers. Look for the small cans of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the Mexican section of the grocery store. You can freeze the leftover peppers with their sauce in a zipper plastic bag.
Time: 30 minutes
14 oz. extra-firm tofu, drained
¾ cup orange juice
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. tomato paste
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1 avocado, chopped
1 15 oz. can no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
¼ cup diced red onion
1 Tbs. lime juice
¼ tsp. kosher salt
4 cups shredded romaine
2 oz. whole-grain tortilla chips
- Cut the tofu block across its width into 6 rectangular slices. Cut each rectangle in half to make 12 square slabs. Cut the square slabs diagonally into triangles. Blot with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, make the spicy BBQ sauce: Mix together the juice, chipotle pepper, garlic, tomato paste, and sugar. Add the tofu and coat each piece with the sauce.
- In a large non-stick pan, simmer the tofu and sauce until the sauce thickens and becomes sticky, 7-10 minutes.
- Make the bean salad: In a medium bowl, combine the avocado, beans, onion, and lime juice. Season with up to ¼ tsp. of salt.
- Divide the romaine onto 4 plates. Spoon the bean salad over the romaine. Serve with the tofu and chips.
Per serving (6 pieces tofu + 1 1/2 cups bean salad):
- Calories: 370
- Total Fat: 15 g
- Sat Fat: 2 g
- Carbs: 43 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 19 g
- Sodium: 210 mg
Enjoy this recipe? Nutrition Action’s new From the Heart cookbook delivers heart-healthy recipes that excite your taste buds and expand your palate. Nutrition Action‘s Healthy Cook, Kate Sherwood provides a collection of dishes that help you follow the top-rated DASH diet. Get healthy while enjoying Tropical Black Beans, Mediterranean Fish Stew, Turkish-Spiced Chicken, Quinoa & Winter Fruit Salad, and dozens of other scrumptious dishes.