The recipes in this post were developed by Kate Sherwood, The Healthy Cook. Have a comment, question, or idea? E-mail Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This crazy-looking combination of ingredients makes some of the tastiest BBQ chicken that never saw a grill. You’ll want leftovers for salads and sandwiches. You can also spoon the Mango Salsa over fish or toss with black beans.
Caribbean BBQ Chicken with Mango Salsa
Time: 20 minutes
8 pitted prunes
3 cloves garlic
½ cup orange juice
3 Tbs. reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. ground allspice
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbs. canola oil
Mango Salsa (see below)
- In a blender, purée the prunes, garlic, orange juice, soy sauce, and spices.
- In a large zipper plastic bag, pound the chicken to an even ½-inch thickness. Pour the prune purée into the bag with the chicken and coat the chicken evenly.
- In a large non-stick pan, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering hot. Sauté the chicken in two batches until lightly charred and cooked through, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Top with the Mango Salsa.
Per serving (3 oz. cooked chicken + ¼ cup salsa):
- Calories: 220
- Total fat: 6 g
- Sat fat: 1 g
- Carbs: 17 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 26 g
- Sodium: 320 mg
2 cups chopped mango
1 cup chopped cucumber
1 cup cherry tomatoes
¼ cup cilantro
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
¼ tsp. kosher salt
- Pulse all the ingredients in a food processor until minced.
Photo: Kate Sherwood & Jennifer Urban/CSPI.
Find this article interesting and useful?
Nutrition Action Healthletter subscribers regularly get sound, timely information about staying healthy with diet and exercise, delicious recipes, and the inside scoop on healthy and unhealthy foods in supermarkets and restaurants. If you don’t already subscribe to the world’s most popular nutrition newsletter, click here to join hundreds of thousands of fellow health-conscious consumers.
Have a comment, question, or idea?
Send us an email at email@example.com. While we can’t respond to every email, we’ll be sure to read your message.