Grab a few juicy, ripe tomatoes, scoop out the centers, and spoon in your favorite savory filling.
Don’t have a favorite filling? We’ve got you covered. Try these Greek Farro Stuffed Tomatoes. Or keep scrolling for more ideas.
Tip: For easy scooping, try a melon baller or grapefruit spoon.
The recipe in this post was developed by Kate Sherwood, The Healthy Cook. Have a comment, question, or idea? E-mail Kate at email@example.com.
Greek Farro Stuffed Tomatoes
4 ripe but firm tomatoes
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 Tbs. minced red onion
¼ tsp. kosher salt
½ cup diced cucumber
¼ cup crumbled feta
1 cup cooked farro or other whole grain
1 small sprig of dill, chopped
- Slice off the stem end of each tomato. Scoop out and chop the centers.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, onion, and salt. Toss with the cucumber, feta, farro, and chopped tomato.
- Spoon the farro salad into the tomato cups. Top with the dill.
Per serving (1 stuffed tomato):
- Calories: 150
- Total fat: 6 g
- Sat fat: 2 g
- Carbs: 20 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Total sugar: 6 g
- Added sugar: 0 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Sodium: 230 mg
Want more recipes?
Stuffing possibilities are endless. Try these recipes:
- Chicken or seafood salad (try crab, lobster, shrimp, or tuna)
- Quinoa, spinach, caramelized onions, chopped smoked almonds
- Black beans, avocado, cilantro, lime, green chili, white onion
- Bulgur, scallion, mint, parsley, walnuts, lemon vinaigrette
- Roasted peppers & eggplant, cannellini beans, balsamic vinegar, basil
This recipe first appeared in the July/August 2019 issue of Nutrition Action Healthletter.
Photo: Kate Sherwood/CSPI.
Find this article interesting and useful?
Nutrition Action Healthletter subscribers regularly get sound, timely information about staying healthy with diet and exercise, delicious recipes, and the inside scoop on healthy and unhealthy foods in supermarkets and restaurants. If you don’t already subscribe to the world’s most popular nutrition newsletter, click here to join hundreds of thousands of fellow health-conscious consumers.
Have a comment, question, or idea?
Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. While we can’t respond to every email, we’ll be sure to read your message.