The recipes in this post were developed by Kate Sherwood, The Healthy Cook. Have a comment, question, or idea? Email Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Indian Chicken Stir-Fry
This stir-fry recipe is inspired by Indian Kadai chicken. To really knock it out of the park, serve it with the chutney below.
Time: 30 minutes
1 Tbs. grated ginger
1 Tbs. grated garlic
1 serrano pepper, minced
½ tsp. garam masala
1 Tbs. + 1 Tbs. peanut oil
1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
½ tsp. kosher salt
a few cilantro sprigs
1. In a small bowl, mix together the ginger, garlic, serrano, garam masala, and 1 Tbs. oil.
2. In a large nonstick pan, heat the remaining 1 Tbs. oil over high heat until very hot but not smoking. Stir-fry the bell pepper and onion until charred in spots, 1–2 minutes. Remove from the pan.
3. Add the ginger mixture to the pan. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken, tomato, and salt. Stir-fry until the chicken is cooked, 2–3 minutes. Return the vegetables to the pan and toss everything together.
4. Garnish with the cilantro.
Per serving (1 cup, not including rice):
- Calories: 210
- Total fat: 10 g
- Sat fat: 2 g
- Carbs: 5 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Total sugar: 2 g
- Added sugar: 0 g
- Protein: 26 g
- Sodium: 290 mg
1 cup fresh herbs (cilantro and/or mint)
½ serrano pepper, seeded
1 clove garlic
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
¼ tsp. kosher salt
1. In a food processor or blender, blend all of the ingredients together.
Photos: Kate Sherwood/CSPI.
These recipes first appeared in the July/August 2020 issue of Nutrition Action Healthletter.
Find this article interesting and useful?
Nutrition Action Healthletter subscribers regularly get sound, timely information about staying healthy with diet and exercise, delicious recipes, and the inside scoop on healthy and unhealthy foods in supermarkets and restaurants. If you don’t already subscribe to the world’s most popular nutrition newsletter, click here to join hundreds of thousands of fellow health-conscious consumers.
Have a comment, question, or idea?
Send us an email at email@example.com. While we can’t respond to every email, we’ll be sure to read your message.