Not a curry powder fan? Season this tofu peanut stew with plenty of freshly ground black pepper instead.
Total time to prepare: 30 minutes
- 1 14 oz. package extra-firm tofu, drained
- 2 Tbs. peanut oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. curry or chili powder (optional)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup crunchy peanut butter
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- Cut the tofu into ½-inch cubes and blot with a paper towel.
- In large non-stick pan, heat 1 Tbs. of the oil over medium heat until shimmering hot. Sauté the tofu until lightly browned on 2 sides, 3-4 minutes. Remove from the pan.
- Sauté the onion in the remaining 1 Tbs. of oil until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and curry powder and sauté for 30 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes, peanut butter, and salt with 2 cups of water. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and return the tofu to the pan.
Per serving (1½ cups):
- Calories: 300
- Sodium: 350 mg
- Total Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbs: 16 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 16 g
Make sure to check out more delicious recipes from The Healthy Cook, Kate Sherwood!
Photo: Jorge Bach/CSPI