Short on time? Try a quick-cooking brown or wild rice.
For a vegetarian version, replace the salmon with mushrooms and lentils. Add 1 lb. sauteed sliced mushrooms (any kind, weighed before cooking) and 1½ cups cooked French or beluga lentils.
Total time to prepare: 60 minutes
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 scallions, chopped
- 1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% milk
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked wild (or brown) rice
- 1 lb. salmon, skin removed, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the scallions for 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk in the milk. Gently cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens slightly, 3-5 minutes. Don’t let the sauce boil.
- Season with the salt, hot sauce, and pepper. Stir in the rice and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the salmon and gently cook until the fish is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Calories: 350
- Sodium: 380 mg
- Total Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbs: 28 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 31 g