Only 1 in 10 American adults say that they eat the recommended 2 to 3 cups of vegetables every day. If that doesn’t include you, take heart. If you have access to fresh produce, the only thing standing in your way of being a veggie superstar is knowing how to prepare them.
That’s where we come in. The Healthy Cook—Kate Sherwood—turns salad into supper in our latest cookbook, Salad Days! The 20+ recipes in this book will help you expand your repertoire with imaginative combinations of greens, vegetables, herbs, whole grains, and proteins.
You’ll find healthy variations on classics like Chicken Caesar and Cobb, as well as more adventurous combos like Black Beans & Red Rice with Smoked Paprika Dressing and Sesame Shrimp with Caramelized Shallot Citrus Dressing.
Each salad is:
- chock full of vegetables that deliver flavor and crunch to spare
- paired with a dressing that ties all the ingredients together
- all you need for lunch or dinner, thanks to healthy proteins like chicken, seafood, beans, or tofu
Chicken Farro Arugula Salad with Lemon Herb Dressing
Super simple and seriously delicious. Warm, nutty farro, sharp (in a good way) parmesan, and plenty of herbs put it at the top of my comfort food list. This is one salad you’re going to want to eat with a spoon.
TIP: Try shaving the parmesan with a vegetable peeler. If you can’t find farro, which is a type of wheat berry, you can use pearl barley.
Time: 30 minutes
¾ cup farro
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs thyme
½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
3 cups arugula
¼ cup shaved parmesan
1. In a medium pot, bring the farro, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, and 4 cups of water to a boil. Cook at a low boil until the farro is tender with just a bit of bite, 18-20 minutes. Drain and discard the garlic, bay leaf, and thyme.
2. In a large zipper bag, pound the chicken to an even ¼-inch thickness. Pat dry with a paper towel. Season with the salt and pepper.
3. In a medium non-stick pan, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering hot. Sauté the chicken until lightly browned on one side, 2-3 minutes. Turn and cook until the other side is cooked through, 1-2 minutes. Remove to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice into strips.
4. Make the dressing.
5. Toss the farro, arugula, and parmesan in the dressing. Top with the sliced chicken.
Lemon Herb Dressing
Make this dressing at the last minute. You want the herbs to be as vibrant as possible.
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
½ tsp. lemon zest
2 Tbs. lemon juice
¼ tsp. kosher salt
¼ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
¼ cup basil leaves, chopped
In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients.
Makes 8 Tbs.
Per serving (3 cups salad with 4 Tbs. dressing):
- Calories: 630
- Total fat: 29 g
- Sat fat: 6 g
- Carbs: 51 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Total sugar: 2 g
- Added sugar: 0 g
- Protein: 41 g
- Sodium: 630 mg